22 January 2011

Connections: John Cage



                iMitations
            invErsions
                    reTrograde forms
             motives tHat are varied
          Or
not varieD

        once Music
            bEgins
                iT remains
                        He said the same
            even variatiOn is repetition
               some things changeD others not (schoenberg)

– John Cage


Schoenberg was a magnificent teacher, who always gave the impression that he was putting us in touch with musical principles.  I studied counterpoint at his home and attended all his classes at USC and later at UCLA when he moved there.  I also took his course in harmony, for which I had no gift.  Several times I tried to explain to Schoenberg that I had no feeling for harmony.  He told me that without a feeling for harmony I would always encounter an obstacle, a wall through which I wouldn't be able to pass.  My reply was that in that case I would devote my life to beating my head against that wall – and maybe that is what I've been doing ever since.
 – John Cage to Jeff Goldberg
"John Cage Interviewed" (May 1976)
reprinted in Conversing with Cage, ed. Richard Kostelanetz

No comments:

Post a Comment